Monday, July 21, 2008

That's A Moray Monday: Stalemate?

As I'm currently preoccupied with sessions at the National Marine Educators Association conference in Savannah, I don't have time to do Moray Monday justice this week. Besides, you can still reflect back on last week's wonderful post. But to keep you moray fans entertained, I thought I'd post an apropos Moray Monday image that was forwarded to me by Liz Foote, CORAL Hawaii Field Manager.

It's obviously a moray, but look closer. There are sea urchin spines protruding from the head of this specimen. Did the vertebrate make a poor choice for dinner and get served by a humble urchin? Or did the invertebrate put up a good fight, but end up in the moray digestive tract? Impossible to tell from the evidence. So let's call this a draw.

So if I'm keeping up with the stats, that makes this:
Inverts: 11
Verts: 2
Stalemate: 1

3 comments:

Kevin Zelnio said...

Depends on whether those spines were laced with poison...

Did Liz see the moray after the pic was taken?? Hmm?????

footesea said...

I've seen morays before with spines, and a white response all around the puncture areas.
I'm guessing this guy had just had his run-in before I encountered him? I wasn't able to keep monitoring it or get any other pictures because I was cruising down a transect line collecting data.
Anyway, how about a couple lol captions Rick? I am thinking FAIL or DO NOT WANT...

Jim Lemire said...

Given the location of the spines I would guess that the moray inadvertently scrapped against an urchin. As much as I love urchins, I have a hard time visualizing how an urchin managed to get its spines way up there.

Though I now have this funny image of this moray snuggling up to an urchin like a cat against a leg.