Sunday, July 13, 2008

Butterfly Kisses To Doug

I'm a big fan of Doug Taron's blog, Gossamer Tapestry. This despite his obvious character flaw of neither studying coral reefs nor writing about them. Be that as it may, Doug suggested I check out a few butterfly exhibits while on my conference junket. "Butterflies?", I initially thought. They aren't commonly found on coral reefs. What could possibly be interesting about that.

I've had an epiphany, courtesy of the Tennessee Aquarium's butterfly exhibit. Thanks for the tip, Doug! I only wish I had you there to tell me what I was seeing.










1 comment:

Doug Taron said...

Hey Rick- Great photos, I'm glad you got to see the exhibit. The people who run it are really good folks. I appreciate the photos because I've never gotten to see that exhibit myself. Here's what you saw (top to bottom):

Common Morpho (Morpho peleides
Rice Paper Butterfly (Idea leuconoe)
Postman (Heliconius erato)
Julia (Dryas iulia)
Little boy holding some sort of Heliconius butterfly.
Mournful Owl (Caligo eurilochus)
Common Morpho (Morpho peleides)
Postman (different subspecies) (Heliconius erato)
Morphos and fruit
Mournful Owl (Caligo eurilochus)
Sara Longwing (Heliconius sara)

I'm glad you enjoyed it.