Friday, July 18, 2008

SeaWeb Launches Coral News Portal

SeaWeb, the ocean science and conservation news and information dissemination folks, have used the International Coral Reef Symposium to launch Coral Reef News: a new web portal dedicated to coral reefs. Take a coral reef blog (like Malaria, Bedbugs, Sea Lice and Sunsets), add a discussion board (like the one we just ditched from CORAL's website since it had poor ROI), mix in a news aggregator (like the Coral Reef Alliance coral news page), and sprinkle with an image bank (like the Coral reef Alliance coral photo bank)... that's sort of the idea here.

My first take? I think it's a great idea to consolidate coral news in one place. But I hope the writing peps-up a bit. The purpose statement on the homepage states that SeaWeb aims "to bring you news of the latest developments in coral reef conservation and research in a snappy, easily accessible way." It's not there yet. It's a tad on the dry side. Especially a lot of the coverage of ICRS. When it's not coming off like an advertisement, it's bogged down in minutia (Does anyone really need verbatim transcripts of discussions?).

But it's just getting started. And like I said, I hope it flourishes.

No comments: