Monday, August 04, 2008

That's A Moray Monday

With this week's post I'm back to my regular tally of amazing moray eel diversity. I've decided to show some local California favoritism for the Golden State I call home. And how better than through a post dedicated to one of California's native (almost endemic) species.

California Moray
Gymnothorax mordax


I LOVE the scientific name for this moray species. I won't pretend competency in classical Latin or Greek etymologies, but from what I gather from a few references the species name, mordax, is Latin for "prone to biting."

The California moray is found in the eastern Pacific from Point Conception in California to southern Baja California in Mexico. I say it's almost a California endemic since sightings have also been documented as far south as the Galapagos Islands. Despite the extended range, it still goes by the common name California moray--same goes for all those California sea lions (Zalophus californianus) so ubiquitous across the Galapagos).

The California moray reaches a maximum length of up to 152 cm. (almost 5 ft.) It is commonly found among rocks, in crevices or holes, usually with only its head protruding. It is very common in shallow reef areas, feeding mostly at night on crustaceans, octopuses and small fishes.

While G. mordax won't be winning any beauty contests, the species appears to have some variability in coloration and markings. Smaller specimens (juveniles?) appear more yellowish in color, while larger specimens exhibit darker, more olive-brown or rust coloration. Large and small specimens have prominent lighter-colored speckles and spots that seem to run the length of the body.

The California moray is quite often seen in association (see below image) with another California endemic, the Lined or Red Rock shrimp (Lysmata californica). On a few frigid dives just south of Monterey, California, I've watched big California morays rest passively out of their rocky holes, mouths agape, as these little shrimp perform some impromptu dentistry, cleaning away bits of accumulated food, slime, or dead skin from between the moray's impressive teeth.

No comments: