Anyway, things went well for my workshop (lots of interested participants) and I'm now back at the hotel for some down time.
Some initial thoughts about Chattanooga? It's hot. And humid. But to say that it's humid is missing how soppingly wet the air feels here. Combine that with the thunderstorms last night and this morning, and you get a crushingly heavy humidity that steams-up my glasses going into and out of the hotel and makes me feel like my clothes are lined with rubber.
I'm also loving the quaint Tennessee dialect. People really do say, "I swear, y'all." No really. And somehow, they can make words like "hey," "that," and "yeah" come out of their mouths with two syllables. Sometimes three.
While Chattanoogans seem like perfectly nice folk so far, there's no question I'm in the bible belt. Easily one-quarter of my flight from Atlanta was on their way to Chattanooga for a bible ministry study. The fellow sitting next to me on the plane was chatting to someone on the phone about that evenings meeting at the church. And based on the drive to my hotel from the airport, you can't swing a cat without hitting a baptist or Lutheran church. When I explained to the local cab driver that our conference officially started tomorrow, he said (shocked), "On a Sunday?"
After cooling-down at the aquarium, I was ready to head back to the hotel for a nap. But on my walk back, I found myself pulled, like an iron filing to a magnet, by the aroma of barbecue hanging thick in the Chattanooga air. The source was a barbecue joint called Sticky Fingers. A southern franchise, but still good. Their specialty was dry-rub pork ribs. I settled into a booth and quickly ordered-up a plate that included a 1/2 rack of Memphis-style ribs, pulled pork, baked beans, slaw, and all washed down with a icy glass of southern sweet tea.
At that perfect moment, I allowed for the slight possibility of a divine being.









No comments:
Post a Comment