Friday, April 18, 2008

102 Years Since The Great Quake

Today, April 18, marks the 102nd anniversary of the 1906 earthquake that nearly wiped San Francisco off the map. At approximately 5:12 AM on Wednesday, April 18, 1906, an estimated magnitude 7.8 quake shook The City for 45 to 60 seconds. The total related death toll as a result of the quake was approximately 3000 lives with more that 20,000 people left homeless or displaced.

In what has now become a tradition in The City, 1906 earthquake survivors and SF natives have gathered at Lotta's Fountain on Market Street to commemorate the quake and remember the incredible loss as well as the San Francisco spirit of renewal. The fountain, which amazingly still flowed after the quake, was one of the few sources of drinkable water and became a meeting place for quake survivors in the days following the devastation. I've been wanting to be a part of this tradition since moving to San Francisco almost 11 years ago. But 5AM is early, ya know?

Well, I read that the attending survivor list has now dwindled to but a single amazing individual. Herb Hamrol of Daly City is 105 years old, yet still works part time stocking shelves at a San Francisco supermarket. If a 105 year old survivor can get himself out of bed, then surly I could. And I'm so glad I did.

105 year-old Herb Hamrol in his police escorted Rolls Royce

I joined Mayor Gavin Newsom (how can anyone look this good so early?), Herb, The City's fire, police, and disaster relief chiefs, the San Francisco Historical Society, and a crowd of about 100 other nuts enthusiasts to remember the past with a moment of silence. And like the crazy San Franciscans that we are, we all burst into a rousing (well, sort of) rendition of the tune San Francisco.
It only takes a tiny corner of
This great big world to make a place you love
My home up on the hill
I find I love you still
I've been away, but now I'm back to tell you:

San Francisco, open your golden gate
You let no stranger wait outside your door
San Francisco, here is your wandering one
Saying "I'll wander no more"

Other places only make me love you best
Tell me you're the heart of all the golden west
San Francisco, welcome me home again
I'm coming home to go roaming no more

3 comments:

evil cake lady said...

Wow, I grew up in the Bay Area and lived in the city for a couple of years there in my twenties, and I never knew about that! I'm glad I finally got to learn about it--thanks for sharing it!

Los Angeles Fire Department said...

Mr. MacPherson,

Thanks for reminding us all of an event that must never be forgotten - if for no other reason than to save lives in the future.

Now as then, surviving an earthquake or other disaster will require that we do our part in preparing.

To that end, I welcome your readers to view, print and share the Los Angeles Fire Department's free 40 page Emergency Preparedness Booklet, a publication that focuses strongly on getting ready for an surviving an earthquake:

http://lafd.org/eqbook.pdf

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
Firefighter/Specialist
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

Doug Taron said...

In solidarity with the citizens of San Francisco, we in Chicago threw our own earthquake on Friday to commemmorate the event. I did my part and woke up during the tremor.