Monday, January 14, 2008

That's A Moray Monday: The Characters Thus Far

Since I took a break from my Moray Monday routine, I thought I might do a quick recap before diving back into the moray madness again. Weekly features can be more work than you initially realize, but since I do indeed like morays (and apparently so do some readers) I plan to keep the series going until I either run out of eels or run out of motivation.

So a quick recap of what we've seen thus far:

On the video front, we have seen evidence of profound human stupidity around moray eels; A Green Moray takes on an octopus; And some well deserved moray attacks as a result of harrassment.

Being dedicated to a multidisciplinary approach here at MBSL&S, we featured some original lyrics for the classic, romantic hit, That's a Moray.

I even found a way to slip Nick Nolte and a zombie/shark death match into Moray Monday's.

As far as species descriptions, I've already presented a veritable buffet of slippery delights:
Peppered Moray
Tiger Snake Moray
Zebra Moray
Dragon Moray
Chain Moray
Green Moray
Caribbean Spotted Moray
Fimbriated Moray
Snowflake Moray
Blue Ribbon Eel
And even Flotsam and Jetsum

We've even had a special post describing the amazing and recently discovered jaw-within-a-jaw of morays. My post and description of the scientific report from Nature scooped a lot of other blog commentary from the "bigger" blogs like Pharyngula and The Loom. But we here at MBSL&S are above such bragging. We are not, however, above referring to ourselves in the plural!

Next week, a brand new moray species recently described from the Red Sea (hat tip to Jason over at Cephalopodcast).

No comments: