Monday, January 21, 2008

I've Been Cloverfelt!

Cloverfielded? I saw the movie! In the face of all the hype, this flick still delivered. The creature wasn't what a lot of speculation (including mine) surmised. But that's just fine since it was still an entertaining, if not somewhat seasickness-inducing romp. Minor spoiler alert for the rest of the post.

Phil over at Bad Astronomy provides an excellent review (and I agree with all his nit-picking). The only nit I might also pick is how a seriously injured main character near the finale is somehow able to outrun the other characters. But this is not a movie to attempt to hold the creators to reality.

As to the beast(s), the big monster sort of resembled a bigger, crawling Rancor from Return of the Jedi. I still don't know from whence this monster came--no clear evidence that I could discern from the film as to whether it came from the ocean, from space, or somewhere else. The little critters/parasites/offspring had this Uropygid meets creatures from Starship Troopers thing going on. I'll look forward to the DVD release to be able to see more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin Z and I got a chance to see this Sunday. I did not stay through to the end of the credits. However this site gives some suggestions as to the creature's origins. Mind you, it looks like it's left over from the viral campaign, so take it for what its worth: http://www.cloverfieldendingcredits.com/