Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I Get Links

What's almost as good as Malaria, Bedbugs, Sea Lice, and Sunsets? Malaria, Bedbugs, Seeläuse und Sonnenuntergänge... the latest link to my blog from Travel Community.

I use the word link very loosely, as what I'm seeing appears to be just a verbatim rip-off of a recent post. Where I come from, this word-for-word lifting of content in its entirety is called plagiarism (even if you name the source). I suspect the site is employing some sort of fetch and post automation that uses key words to rip posts from other sites, loosely translate them into German, then post them on its own site along with many ads for erectile dysfunction drugs and bargain basement Valium. So someone is making money from ads by populating their blog with stolen posts. I suppose I should be incensed, but to be honest I'm not. Besides, desperate web users with erectile dysfunction should be exposed to ocean conservation too. But I suppose this explains how some bloggers get such high Technorati rankings.

1 comment:

Angelo Villagomez said...

If you really want to crank up your links, try doing a Master List of ocean bloggers, similar to my Master List of Saipan Bloggers.