No chance of getting out to Placencia or San Pedro as they are both being evacuated. Last advisory indicated that Felix is headed for the Honduras-Nicaragua elbow, and could cut across land a bit before threatening Guatemala and Belize. Any land crossing will weaken the hurricane. If this scenario holds true, storm surge and winds should be more like a tropical storm here in Belize City. But since the path can change, Belize has issued a national emergency until Wednesday night.
Everywhere around town, things seem very quiet for the nation's capital. Most of the streets are empty, and only the stores with any water, food, or other provisions are hubs of activity. Many stores have just decided to close. The Biltmore Hotel (where I'm staying) has suspended housekeeping, boarded-up the windows, and packed away all the gifts from the gift shop. Kudos to the Biltmore for putting their local employees needs in front of business during this time. Meal availability should continue, though a sign in the lobby says this might change at any time.
Man, I'm sure missing the relaxing Labor Day hot dog roast back home.









1 comment:
I've been watching this. Just be sure to be on that plane tomorrow morning!
As a former floridian, I can sympathise... but good grief, don't take any chances. Even with only tropical storm force winds, you could get substantial flooding and wind damage. Hope to read your blog tomorrow and find you are in a place of safety!
Post a Comment