Sunday, January 18, 2009

Science Online 09: In Praise Of Connections

That's Kevin Zelnio and GrrlScientist in the above photo (sorry for the poor quality but I snatched the image from my tiny video cam) as they co-facilitated the Sunday morning session, Nature Blogging, here at the Science Online 09 science blogging conference. The conference is already a wrap, and since I'm stuck at the Raleigh-Durham airport for the next four hours I thought I'd try to capture some initial reflections.

I'll have more to say about a few of the sessions as well as overarching themes and cross-cutting that emerged, but I wanted to focus first on the whole reason I attend this conference in the first place: the people.

For the second year in a row, this conference has kicked my ass. There's just not enough time in two days to attend every session I'd like or engage in all the sidebars I'd like with other science bloggers. And of course, I can't get enough time with my fellow ocean bloggers. It was terrific to finally meet Mark Powell and Miriam Goldstein for the first time. For the record, Mark has this über zen-like tranquil aura about him, I can actually feel my blood-pressure lowering just by standing next to him. In contrast, imagine somehow containing the zeal and energy of about 40 schoolgirls packed into a wonderfully sarcastic east-coast transplant, and you get a sense of Miriam's contagious enthusiasm for science communication.

Rounding-out the ocean blogger love-fest was the opportunity to hang with Kevin Zelnio (he of the indestructible liver), Jason Robertshaw (he of the bottomless technological acumen), and honorary ocean blogger Karen James (she of the much prized bag of Darwin swag). Bonus points was the opportunity to meet Southern Fried Scientist. If Sylvia Earle and Andrew Dice Clay produced a love child, it would be Southern Fried Scientist. I've said this before, but we may need to consider forming a splinter blogging conference dedicated just to the ocean, if for no better reason than to fit more drinking time in with these friends.

Thanks Bora and Anton for once again creating a venue for bringing people together!

5 comments:

Mark Powell said...

Ha-ha. Back at you Rick, it was truly great to meet you! OHHHHMMMM!

Kevin Zelnio said...

Lol Rick. I agree about the tranquility of that which is known as Mark Powell. I felt as if I were one with the ocean in his presence.

It is always a pleasure to meet and exchange beers with you!

We should think about sessions on communication in the ocean sciences at major meetings that we all might attend (or want to attend/ can easily get funding to attend/ etc.).

Miriam Goldstein said...

That is the best description of me EVAH! I had a blast - it was great to finally meet you!

Miriam Goldstein said...

We should think about sessions on communication in the ocean sciences at major meetings that we all might attend (or want to attend/ can easily get funding to attend/ etc.).

Ocean Sciences Meeting 2010?

Bora Zivkovic said...

Yes, this is the best description of both Mark and Miriam evah! So great to see you again!!!!