Friday, May 25, 2007

What's So Funny?

A reader wrote me with a question. And for the record, it's perfectly okay to leave comments on my blog! Really! Even if it's a question... it gives me hope. Anyway, he or she (no name) said,
I like your blog. It's funny. Are you?
It immediately caught my attention for it's haiku-esque economy of verbage. But there are a lot of ways I could interpret this. Are they talking "Ha Ha" funny or "strange" funny? I'll go for the, Are you a funny person in person? line of questioning. And the answer is, I dunno. I mean it's hard to say because I'd hate to be one of those people––we all know at least one––who thinks they are incredibly funny, but au contraire.

I suppose another way of formulating an answer would be to wonder what someone might say about me at a eulogy, assuming anyone showed-up. Here, again, I'm stumped. There's too much of a temptation to over-inflate my own self image. I'm just an average schmo, trying to do the right thing most of the time. Here and there I've gotten off course, but I think I'm a fundamentally nice and good-hearted guy. Mind you, I'm no Pollyanna. I don't suffer fools gladly and am unrelentingly skeptical. But these are good things, right?

Which doesn't answer my readers question. So I think I'll take a mulligan on the answering directly and just say that if you mixed a big serving of


with a much-missed portion of


and a fabulous slice of


it would sort-of approximate my in-person person.

Thanks for the fun question!

No comments: