Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Aquarium: Always And Forever

As a displaced Yankee, and adopted son of New England (I spent my undergraduate years in Rhode Island and waaaay too many years in Maine and Beantown as a grad student), I have deep love for The New England Aquarium. The New England Aquarium, known simply as "The Aquarium" to locals, was my first real exposure to a professional aquarium.

I still remember my first visit (1981) with Mike Musto, my undergrad roommate (a Bostonian who also volunteered at The Aquarium). I remember the mounting anticipation as we strolled through Quincy Market on our walk from the T. I remember the (then) hazardous dash across four lanes of traffic to get to the wharf. I remember that I was fortunate enough to see (and hear) Hoover in the outdoor exhibit. I remember walking into this enormous, dark space with the giant ocean tank lit-up like a jewel as centerpiece. Do I remember models of marine life (sharks and whales) hanging from the ceiling? I remember the Rockhopper penguins standing around on their fake rocks. I remember the faint fishy smell mixed with something else (chlorine?). And I remember the crazy excitement as we moved with the crowds along the concrete ramp that spiraled up through galleries of fresh and saltwater fish and invertebrates to the top of the giant ocean tank.

Even now, having visited many other aquariums in my life, the New England Aquarium is still THE Aquarium. My aquarium.

That's why I'm supporting The Aquarium now, on the 40th anniversary of its founding, to help them win a grant that will restore the building's interior to the same finish it had when it first opened its doors in 1969. I hope you will join me in this important effort.

The Aquarium didn't create the fire in my heart for our oceans. I had that before my first visit. But it certainly reinforced my passion, and I know that it has served as the catalyst for many ocean scientists, conservationists, and educators. And it's a source of pride for any New Englander (permanent or displaced).

H/T to Jives for the heads-up on this.

4 comments:

Jives said...

Touching words Rick... It means a lot to hear how important the Aquarium is to a prominent coralist like yourself.

When I get to San Fran I'll buy you a beer and hear how you survived crossing I-93.

Jim Lemire said...

"I can walk like a penguin!" will always be stuck in my head (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you didn't grow up in the greater Boston area in the late-70s/early-80s). What a great place and one that I certainly support

Doug Taron said...

I haven't thought about Hoover in ages. He was so cool. Hoooooover.

Jives said...

Hoover's pretty popular on the YouTube.

His grandson Chacoda is here now. Not much of a talker but a striking seal none-the-less :)