I'm only half-way through Green, Inc.: An Environmental Insider Reveals How a Good Cause Has Gone Bad by Christine MacDonald, and I can confidently say it is a must read for anyone interested in a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the conservation biz.MacDonald, former member of the global communications division of Conservation International (CI), arrived at one of the world’s largest environmental groups with no small dose of idealism. Ready to dedicate herself to the fight for the planet’s remaining forest lands and endangered species, she quickly grows disillusioned by what she interprets as questionable liaisons with environmentally hostile corporations; the six-figure salaries of its leaders; and an alleged lack of environmental ethos exhibited by her colleagues at their stylish Washington offices.
But MacDonald doesn't reserve her criticism to CI alone. She takes on the day-to-day practices of the Big International NGOs (BINGOs): CI, The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Federation, the Sierra Club, and others. Green, Inc. is a snapshot from inside the global environmental movement. Some of the main characters include Russell Train, former Environmental Protection Agency administrator and longtime World Wildlife Fund leader; the Nature Conservancy president Steven J. McCormick and his efforts to build closer ties between the Conservancy and corporate America; and CI’s millionaire founder, chief executive and chairman Peter Seligmann, who spends most of his time in the book globetrotting with celebrities aboard gas-guzzling private jets to some of the most breathtakingly exotic and pristine spots on earth.
Thirty-pages into Green, Inc. and you get the impression that being a CEO or Executive for a conservation BINGO today means you go scuba diving with rock stars and corporate scions, hobnob with remote indigenous tribes, and party with big donors and celebrity journalists aboard private jets, yachts, and land Rovers. While at times it seems MacDonald is almost amused over the colorful lifestyles of big conservation's leadership, she holds back not a scintilla of outrage over conservation organizations routinely accepting donations from oil, lumber and mining industries and corporate behemoths such as Wal-Mart without holding them accountable for ongoing pollution practices.
Green, Inc. has been generating quite a buzz in its short time on the book stands. I'll reserve my own commentary until I finish. But I hope a few of my conservation colleagues also give it a read as it would be great to have a blog discussion on its merits and drawbacks.









6 comments:
Just so you know, the Pew office on Saipan recycles. I also live 200 meters from my office, so I use very little gas.
But I have been known to eat SPAM occasionally...which probably isn't good for my body or the environment. And I like beer brewed in far off lands...probably not good either.
I don't know how people get the impression that working for a conservation NGO means diving in beautiful places...
But yeah, it would be fun to have a little science-blog bookclub. I'll hunt around for the book.
oh, ha ha, miriam...
i don't think my cans of SPAM dinners whilst conducting field work make me on par with a CI exec, but touche...
Book Club! I like it. If only could read things longer than a blog post anymore.
But seriously, I think we need to start looking to industry more for funding opportunities. With the situation going haywire in the government and the NGOs with exceedingly strapped budgets, how is conservation rockstar parties and lavish dive trips... I mean innovative research and meaningful actions to be funded? Corporations may be ready to deal with being slammed for their environmental malpractice while funding conservation priorities. But at the same time be amenable to changing their image. For instance, Mark Powell has been going on about Walmart selling sustainably caught fish. While Walmart lacks in many (if not most) other areas of concern. Any step forward is to be applauded.
Of course what that corporation or goverment or other body does with that information (effects change or ignores it) is up to them. But the science is still funded, or the land set aside, etc. Instead of pointing fingers and saying "bad boy", I'm growing more convinced we need to find innovative ways to sell our research ideas. This is no different than selling grants to NSF except that there needs to be clear benefit to the funder (good image, tax rebates/incentives for good environmental practices, a marketable product/process/practice).
Government funding situations ain't gonna get better so lets stop sitting on asses crying foul and get back up for another round.
kevin...
i'm not suggesting (nor does it appear that christine macdonald does in her book) that corporate dollars for conservation funding is a bad thing... but there have been claims made by some of the bingos that in exchange for the corporate underwriting the corporations agree to make agreements to mitigate less than sustainable behaviors...
i'm too close to the issues here to name names and be specific without jeopardizing project traction... but suffice to say i hear a lot of talk by some conservation colleagues of corporations coming "on board" through partnerships (ie funding) yet very little in the way of substantive environmental changes at a scale or timeframe that's going to make a difference...
i know there are those who say that greenwashing is progress, but i'm not one of them...
My spidey sense says I'm part of the target, so I'm on edge. My copy is on order and should come today. I'll comment and I promise I won't get defensive about this stinking hatchet job.
Post a Comment