
When it comes to supporting ocean conservation, ocean science, and strategies to stop global climate change, it's hard to know who among the early slate of presidential contenders is either here or there–or anywhere. So I decided to see for myself where they sit on issues important to the marine conservation community.
But getting answers out of public figures is no easy task. And I'm a busy man with no congressional pages to task with digging through reams of public records for inklings of ocean awareness. So I decided on a far less immediate, very unscientific (and probably futile) means of getting to the marrow of the matter.
I sent the following identical email to either the campaign headquarters or beltway offices (or both) of 10 of the early prospects:
Hello...
Can you send or direct me to [candidates name's] position or public record regarding ocean policy, ocean science-research-education, US fisheries, and climate change?
Much appreciated!
Since the ocean observes no political affiliation, I decided to be bipartisan in my query and forwarded emails to the following 2008 early presidential hopefuls (where available, I've linked current congressional members scorecard from the League of Conservation Voters):
Representative Dennis Kucinich
Senator John McCain
Governor Tom Vilsack
former Governor Mitt Romney
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
Senator Barack Obama
Senator Sam Brownback
Senator Joseph Biden
Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani
and former Senator John Edwards
I'll keep you posted as to any responses.









No comments:
Post a Comment