
Okay, I'm no Borat, but I think I'm gonna be big in Kazakhstan. One of my Pacific Program Managers, Sherry, sent me a heads-up and link to
Kazinform, a Kazakhstan electronic news service that picked up a
redacted version of the National Geo Solomon Islands tsunami story. While Kazakhstan has no need to worry about tsunami these days, during the Paleozoic Era about 543 to 290 million years ago, Kazakhstan-to-be was a shallow, tropical sea dominated by barrier and pinnacle reefs. Evidence of significant reef development in the form of carbonate reserves dates from mid Devonian (375 millian years ago) to Early Permian (248 million years ago.)

But Paleozoic reefs were a far cry from modern coral reefs we would recognize today. A few excellent reproductions based on fossil evidence exist around the country (I'm a big fan of the Harvard University
Museum of Comparative Zoology's dioramas.) But the
American Museum of Natural History in Manhattan and the
University of Michigan Exhibit Museum of Natural History are also fantastic places to walk, or swim, back in time.
No comments:
Post a Comment